CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Connection to Play

Quotes:

Here are two quotes that best represent the importance of play was to me as a child.
Ø  “Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” ~ Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)
Ø  “Play is not only our creative drive; it’s a fundamental mode of learning.” ~ David Elkind (psychologist, author)

Essential Play Things When I was Young:



                                                                            

My Connection to Play:

As a young child, I can remember playing is what made my days go by so quickly. Play was a way for me to interact with my siblings, friends, and neighbors. We played on our own making new adventures as we made our way over the entire neighborhood. I don’t necessarily remember an adult playing a supporting role when we played except to call us at dark when it was time to come home, or when we needed to take a break to get something to eat. My mom or other neighborhood moms would also be there if you got hurt. Other than those times adults didn’t join in play or initiate play like we sometimes do today.

Play is very different today than it was when I was a child. Today parents have to be more concerned with their children’s safety. When I was young safety was my mom telling me that I was going to fall out of the tree and break something if I wasn’t careful. I also think that video games and other electronic media have taken precedence over children going outside and having unstructured play time. It was hard for me to think of three significant play things that I had when I was younger. Play to me was more about being active and using my imagination to play school, beauty shop, or outside making mud pies for my restaurant. I had toys but they weren’t things that I played with every day. Play today seems more complex and less interesting to children. They need a video game or television to entertain them. Children do not engage in creative play as much as I did when I was younger.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole, it is amazing how much we can remember from our childhood. Childhood play for me was a time to act out roles, and experience the world full of fun. Also, I see we like the same childhood toys, I loved my "big wheel". :)

    Thanks,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I enjoy the quote about play gives the child a chance to practice what they are learning. I could remember one time my son was learning about fractions. When he got home that day and was playing with my youngest son all the toys he was demonstrating fractions. It was so fasinating to see that. Thats like my students that pretends to be me while they are at reccess. All I could do is laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nicole,
    I enjoyed viewing you entire page. One of your quotes states, "Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning". I agree with that statement totally. Children love to play and they enjoy playing as they learn. The curriculum that we follow at the center where I am employed is "Creative Curriculum". Some parents argue that we are not teaching their children anything. I reply saying, "Well your child id given the opportunity to play, be creative, and teach themselves here. We help them foster their in ability to think on their own using their abilities to solve problems and master other milestones in their early childhood development time frame". We as parents do like to see results on paper. We have to stop and ask them exactly what they are doing and how they are doing it. Their language development, cognitive development and physical development are all essential.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,

    Great POst. Play is very different now from when I was growing up. Today children play inside with video games and computers, when I was younger we played outside, baseball, football, hide and seek. I agree with you parents are more concerned about safety issues verses our parents it was be careful make sure you catch the ball and don't let the ball catch you.
    Great post.

    Erica Hines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,
    I agree with you that creative play has changed so much. When I drive around town, I don’t see children outside playing basketball or riding their bikes up and down the streets like I did when I was younger. I feel that concerns for safety and video games have stifled those actions.
    Arica

    ReplyDelete